Our Bailey Heritage

Part 4


16                                   EDWARD LOUIS SPARKS

Edward Louis Sparks was a younger brother to our Sarah Jane Sparks but

he played an important part in her life and was the one responsible for

bringing her to Canada, and later, to San Jose, California.  We have

recently made contact with one of his Grandsons, John Sparks, in Taber,

Alberta, Canada and would like to add some of Edward's history into this


Edward was born 30 Jan. 1878, in Wick Leominster, Sussex County.  This

is just north of Littlehampton.  In England he was apprenticed for eight

years, to learn to make cabinets and he became an excellent craftsman.  In

1889, at 21 years of age, he married Agnes Eliza Hatcher in Worthing and

their first four children were born there:

    Beatrice Agnes                   29 Jan 1900  Worthing

    Edward Charles William        8 Jul 1901  Worthing

    Fredrick Albert Victor            8 Jul 1902   Worthing

    Wilfred Louis John              29 Sep 1905 Worthing

Edward, the father (who usually went by the name of "Ted") came to

Canada early in 1905.  It seems he probably left England before they knew

their fourth child was on the way.  Wilfred was born after Edward was in


"Uncle Ted" first went to Fernie in Southeast British Columbia but he didn't

care for it there so he moved to Taber, Alberta.  He worked as a carpenter

and cabinet maker to earn enough money to bring his family to Canada.  It

took him almost two years to earn the passage money required.  In 1906,

Agnes boarded a ship in Liverpool with her four young children and sailed

for Halifax, Nova Scotia.  During this voyage, young Wilfred, who had not

yet seen his father, celebrated his first birthday.  From Halifax, the family

rode the train for a week to reach Taber.  One can imagine the joy and

excitement of being reunited with their husband and father in their new



Edward continued in his trade in Taber, where he worked on the old Central

School, the Taber Court House, White Lunch Cafe (next to the Cameo) and

many of the older homes in Taber.  He was also carpenter for the Great

Northwest Mines.  The pulpit and alter of the Taber Anglican Church was

made by him.  He also made the big display case with all the glass

compartments for J.K. How Grocery store.

On 1 Aug. 1908, Edward and Agnes were blessed with another child, whom

they named: Lillian Florence Sparks, after her cousin, Lillian Florence

Bailey, daughter of Sarah Jane Sparks Bailey, back in England.

On 5 Jan. 1911, after just four years in Canada, Herbert Henry Sparks was

born to this family in Taber, Alberta.  There were complications from the

birth and Edward's wife, Agnes, died five days later, on 10 Jan. 1911.  She

was buried in Taber.  Edward was very devoted to his wife and never



Edward and Agnes had some very close friends, the Hogarth family. 

When Agnes died, these friends offered to take the baby and raise it as their

own.  This was almost agreed to but then Edward decided against it feeling

he wanted to keep his family together.  Just over a year after his wife's

death, this baby, Herbert, also passed away due to meningitis.

It was at about this time that Edward came up with the idea of asking his

sister, Sarah Jane Sparks Bailey, to come to Canada to help him raise his

family.  She was a nurse and was struggling back in England with raising

her four young children alone.  Sometime between 1910-12 Sarah brought

her family to Taber where Edward made her feel at home.

"Edward was a true Englishman--the supreme head of the family and his

word was law!  They had a very typical English home with tea, etc. right on

schedule.  The girls always were in dresses with big bows and ruffles and

big bows in their hair.  Agnes was tiny and a quiet woman and he was stern

and domineering."


In 1923 Uncle Ted took a job in Shelby, Montana where he and his son,

Edward, helped build an outdoor arena for the Dempsey-Gibbons fight.

When that job was completed, Uncle Ted moved to San Jose, California,

where he arrived on 5 July 1923.  His four older children were pretty well

grown and spent most of their lives in Alberta.  His youngest daughter,

Lillian, accompanied him to San Jose.  She never married and spent the

rest of her life with her father.

During the Great Depression, Edward again invited his sister, Sarah Bailey,

to come and join him in his warm home in San Jose.  By then her children

were married and on their own.  Sarah was living there when she passed

away in 1933.  The following spring, Ted's daughter, Lillian, died on 9 Mar.

1934.  She was only 26 years old at her passing.  Edward remained in his

San Jose home but only for about two more years.  He died there on 4 Jan.

1936 at age 58.



We don't know if Edward's brother, John Sparks, ever moved to North

America.  We don't even know the name of John's wife.  They are pictured

together in San Jose, CA so they must have at least come for a visit.

[Note: The photos and information for this chapter were submitted by John

and Patsy Sparks.  John is the son of Wilfred Louis John Sparks and Ella

Adean Barton.  He and his wife, Patsy, live in Taber, Alberta.  We are very

grateful to them for sharing their information with us for this book.]


17                                                             SARAH JANE SPARKS BAILEY

Sarah Jane Sparks, was born on 6 July 1866 in Southwick, Sussex County. 

The following month, she was taken to the local parish of the Church of

England where she was christened and named after her Grandmother,

Sarah Jane Nash Sparks.

Her family remained in Southwick until Sarah was about eight years old. 

Sometime around 1874, her Father, who was a blacksmith, took a job in

London and moved his family there.  This was not to be a permanent home

but they staid long enough to have another child there.


When they tired of the cramped city life of London, as described in the

Charles Dickens's stories, they again moved in about 1876-7, to the Sussex

coast.  This time they settled at Littlehampton, on the mouth of the Arun

River.  Sarah was about ten when the family moved to this picturesque


Anciently, Littlehampton was a busy port carrying passengers from England

to Normandy.  It was also an export harbor of English timber that was sold

on the continent.  Today it is a popular yachting center and family resort. 

All the towns in a ten mile stretch from Littlehampton to Worthing have now

merged into a single development of coastal get-a-ways.

Here too, the family stayed for only a couple years before moving again,

about 1879.  This time however, they moved just a short distance north,

to the town of Wick in Lyminster parish.  Sarah Jane was about 13 years

old when the family made this last move.  She seems to have already had

a job as a domestic servant in a lodging-house and remained behind when

her family moved on.  After they located in Wick, their youngest known child,

Ethel, was born.  Sarah would have grown up with her sister, Henrietta Maria,

who was just one and a half years her senior.  We're not sure what became

of this older sibling but Ethel was Sarah's only other sister.  Having already

established herself in a working career away from home, Sarah would hardly

have known her younger sister.

In the 1881 census, Sarah was listed as a "Domestic Servant" in the

lodging-house owned by Samuel and Ruth Smith, back in Littlehampton, at

#9 Western R.C.  The rest of the family was then living in Wick, Lyminster

parish, about three miles to the northwest.  No doubt they still had many

opportunities to visit each other after working hours or on holidays.

Throughout the years, as Sarah was growing up, her family kept in touch

with her Father's sister, Ruth Sparks Bailey.  They had been both friends

and family and had kept close in Chidham and in Portsmouth before Sarah

was even born.  We're not sure where the Bailey family went after both

families left Portsmouth but they too may have come to the Sussex coast

line and may not have been too far away as Sarah grew up.


It seems that Sarah felt a closeness to this family and especially to their son,

Joseph Bailey.  The photograph that we have of them was taken in 1888 in

Littlehampton.  At that time, Sarah was 22 years old and Joseph Bailey

was 20.

The photograph (shown on page 55) was probably taken to celebrate this

couple's engagement to be married.  Joseph had taken a job as a railroad

conductor and was living at 30 Gideon Road in Battersea parish, Surrey

County, near London.  About six months after this photo was taken, Sarah

traveled to London where she and Joseph were married in the "Church of

the Ascension" in Battersea parish.  Battersea is a small suburb of London

across the Thames River to the south of Westminster. 


Although Sarah Jane Sparks and Joseph Bailey were first cousins to each

other, that doesn't seem to have been an obstacle in their marriage plans. 

In those days, only royalty was prohibited from marrying close relatives.

After the wedding, this couple continued to live in the London area.  Their

first child, Joseph Reginald Bailey, was born on the 23rd of Nov. 1889 in

Kentish Town, London.

Two years later, on 11 Sep. 1891, their second child, Fredrick William

Bailey, was born at Malden Road, London.

At about that time, Joseph took the opportunity to change jobs.  He

became a steward on board a steamship that sailed from London to

Southampton to Liverpool and back.  Sometime about 1894-5 the family

moved to Woolston, a suburb just across the river to the east of

Southampton.  It was while they were living in Woolston, that the last two

children were born to this family:

       Leonard Harold Bailey                  29 Dec 1893

*  Lillian Florence Bailey  27 Feb 1896

We now have two different stories as to what happened next in the family. 

The children of Lillian understood that her Father, Joseph Bailey, died at

sea when his ship sank sometime around the turn of the century.

However, the descendants of her brother, Leonard Bailey, had their

Mother's old family Bible, in which, presumably Sarah wrote that Joseph

died in New York Harbor in 1917.  By that date, Lillian would have been 21

years old.  If the latter story is correct, then it appears that Joseph and

Sarah did not remain together as husband and wife.  The four children,

particularly Lillian, had little recollection of their Father.

As a young girl, Sarah had earned her own living as a domestic servant,

cleaning the homes of others.  Now again, as a grown woman, she found

herself responsible to earn a living that would support herself and her four

children.  Sarah was a nurse.  Most of her jobs expected long hours of

service and provided her with a room at her place of employment but there

was no room for her children.  Sarah worked all week and only had her

weekends to come home and visit her young children.


In this environment, the four young children learned to take care of

themselves.  There was no parent at home throughout the week to give

them either discipline or love.  The tired Sarah would have to do that as

best she could on weekends.

This kind of family life was difficult on all of them and yet they remained very

close to one another.  Sarah looked for an opportunity to improve her

situation.  She had a younger brother, Edward "Ted" who had emigrated to

Canada about 1905.  Shortly after his arrival in Taber, Alberta, Edward and

his wife had another daughter born on 1 Aug. 1908.  This little girl was

given the name of "Lillian Florence Sparks" after his niece who was then

just 12 years old.  This may give some indication of the love Edward felt

towards his sister, Sarah.  

Edward wrote back to Sarah of the opportunities in Alberta where he was

making a good living for himself.  With Sarah's children now mostly grown

and with jobs of their own, they were able to save the passage money

necessary to make the journey.

Sarah and her three youngest children made the trip sometime around

1910-11.  Reg followed in 1912.  By that time, her children ranged in age

from Reginald in his early twenties, to Lillian in her mid-teens and Sarah

Jane was in her late forties.  It must have been summer when they arrived

in Taber, Alberta, Canada as they determined to stay there and make it their

new home.

World War I began in 1914 and Sarah watched her youngest son, Leonard,

go off to fight in France at the age of 20.  Three years later, when the war

ended, Leonard went back to Sussex County where he married Edith

Evelyn Stanford on 24 Dec. 1917 in Worthing, England.  He was the first to

marry but only by a few months.  Lillian was married to Albert Raymond

Morton on 9 Apr. 1918 in Taber, Alberta.  The following year, Fred married

Gertrude Mae Stanthorpe on 22 Feb. 1919 and Reginald, the oldest, was

married last, the following year to Mary Roberts, on 21 July 1920.

With her children grown and starting families of their own, Sarah could

finally relax a bit.  Her brother, Edward, had again moved to San Jose,

California, where the winters were milder.  He asked Sarah to come and

join him there.  Edward's wife had died in childbirth with their sixth baby in

1911 in Taber.  One of his daughters was living with him in San Jose but

there was still room in this generous man's heart for his sister.

Sarah spent her last couple of years in San Jose, California where she died

on 11 July 1933.  Her body was brought back to Alberta, where her

children lived.  She was buried in Lethbridge on 15 July 1933.  Her

brother, Edward, remained in San Jose, where he died on 4 Jan. 1936.



18                                                                 JOSEPH REGINALD BAILEY

Uncle "Reg" was born in London on 23 Nov. 1889.  He spent his first three

years there before the family moved to Southampton in Hampshire County. 

As the oldest in the family, much of the burden of watching out for his

younger brothers and sister, fell on his shoulders.  We are much in debted

to Reginald for being something of a father figure to his younger brothers

and sister.

He was about 22 years old when he came to Canada.  It would have been

difficult for him, and for all of the children, to leave their friends behind,

knowing they would never see them again.

Reg's daughter, Margaret Bailey Thompson provided the following

historical sketch:

Joseph Reginald Bailey, known as "Reg" throughout his life, was the

eldest son of Joseph Bailey and Sarah Jane Sparks Bailey.  He

spent his youth at school and work near Worthing and Brighton in

southern England.  He left England on March 23, 1912 on S.S.

Canada to join his Mother, Len, Fred and Lilly and his Uncle Edward

Sparks in Taber, Alberta, Canada.  He arrived in Taber on Easter

Sunday April 8, 1912 and was met by Len and Fred at the train


He married Mary Roberts in Taber on July 21, 1920 and they had

one daughter, Margaret.  They moved to Lethbridge in 1924 where

he was manager of the Hudson Bay Groceteria.  He remained in the

grocery business until he retired.

Reg was a family man and had a great love for his brothers and

sister.  He enjoyed acting from a young age and followed the theatre

throughout his life.  Reg got great reviews for his work in Lethbridge

Playgoers.  He was active in Southminster United Church as a choir

member, Elder and as an actor in religious plays.  Because of his

love of acting he played Santa at the Hudson Bay store, at church

and for the Welch Society for many years.  Reg and Mary moved to

Edmonton in 1957 to be near Margaret and her family.


Reg was the last of Sarah's children to marry.  He and Mary had only one

child, a daughter, Margaret Sadie Bailey, born 16 Dec. 1921 at Taber. 

Margaret married Clarence Ernest Thompson on 16 Sep. 1946 at

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.

Reg died on 18 Dec. 1961 in Edmonton, Alberta.  His wife, Mary, died on 3

Aug. 1969, also in Edmonton.


19                            FREDRICK WILLIAM BAILEY


Uncle Fred was born in London on 11 Sep. 1891.  The family had recently

moved to a new residence on Malden Road, in the northwest part of the city. 

He was just a baby when the family moved to Southampton in Hampshire

County.  Fred was about twenty when he came to Canada with his Mother,

brother Len and sister Lillian.

All four of Sarah Sparks Bailey's children had a lot of life in them.  While

they may not have shown a great deal of outward affection they were still

very close to one another.  From their infancy they had looked out for one

another and thereby established a pattern that continued through much of

their lives.

This protective nature was demonstrated when Fred became seriously

interested in a young woman named Gertrude Stanthorpe.  "Gert", as she

was called, was a beautiful woman and Fred couldn't help but be attracted

to her.  However, his family was very protective of him and they decided he

needed a little time to think things over before getting too involved. 

Consequently, they picked up Gert and took her to the train depot where

they bought her a one way ticket out of town.  One wonders today, how

someone could get away with "sending someone away" contrary to their

wishes but back then, things were a little different.

Fred may have realized there was no use arguing with his family on this

matter, their minds were made up.  But, he was pretty clever himself.  As

they were putting Gert on the train, Fred was secretly standing on the

opposite side of the tracks and he boarded the same car.  As the family

road home, pleased with their successful accomplishment, Fred and Gert

were on their way out of town together.  They eloped and had their

honeymoon at the partial expense of his family.


Fred married Gertrude Mae Stanthorpe on 22 Feb. 1919.  When they

returned, everyone was good to recognize that what was done was done

and they all became very close to Gert as their new sister.  

Fred and Gert had only one child, a daughter, Florence Bailey, born 1 Nov.

1923 in Taber, Alberta.  Florence married Merl K. Brehmer about 1944.

For most of their life, Fred and Gert made their home in Medicine Hat,

Alberta.  They enjoyed playing cards and visiting with family.  Their niece,

Irene Morton McDonald and her husband Don, related this story:

"Fred and Gert Bailey were a fun loving couple that were great to be around. 

They didn't always arrive in Portland when expected.  On one trip they

stopped at as many taverns as they could find between Medicine Hat,

Alberta and Portland.  They didn't arrive drunk, just happy.

"Ray and Lill were especially fond of them and gave one the impression that

the two couples, in their younger days, had many good times together. 

They used to come over and play cards with us when they were in town. 

We played a game called '7 up and 7 down' with pennies.  Gert would play

with a roll-your-own cigarette dangling out of the corner of her mouth and it

was hard to play cards and wonder when the lighted end was going to fall on

the table.  When you had lost all your pennies, Gert made you play one

more hand 'on your ass' as she put it, to see if you couldn't continue.

"We took a vacation in Canada in 1970, pulling a small trailer and visiting

parks and Canadian camp grounds.  When we got to Medicine Hat we

stayed a couple days with Fred and Gert.  They were great hosts, showing

us the sights, playing cards and introducing us to playing darts English

fashion.  That was the last time we saw them but their memories live on in

how kind they were to us."




20                                                         LEONARD HAROLD BAILEY


Leonard was born 29 Dec. 1893 in Woolston, a suburb of Southampton,

England.  He was about seventeen when the family came to Canada.  It

wasn't long however, before World War I broke out and Len was shipped

overseas to fight in France.  Judging from the name of his first son, Len

probably saw a lot of action in the famous battle of Ypres, in northwest

Belgium.  It was in that battle that mustard gas was used on the allied

soldiers with such terrible affects.

After the War, Len stopped in England to visit family and friends before

returning home.  At that time he married Edith Evelyn Stanford on 24 Dec.

1917 in Worthing, Sussex, England.

Len and Edith returned to Canada to begin their life together in Taber,

Alberta.  Here, their first three children were born:

        Leonard Ypres Stanford Bailey      23 Aug 1919

        Dennis Edward Harold Bailey        17 Dec 1920

        Bernard Lewis Reginald Bailey      25 Aug 1922

The family then moved to Coalhurst, Alberta, where the next two children

were born:

        Frederick William Joseph Bailey     26 Nov 1930

        a baby girl who died at birth                         1931

The family then moved again.  This time to Lethbridge where their last child

was born:

        Douglas Lawrence Bailey               15 May 1933

This child was only a couple months old when Len's Mother, Sarah Jane

Sparks Bailey, died in California.  Len was then living in Lethbridge and

she was brought there for burial.  




Len's son, Bernard Bailey, and his daughter, Darla Bailey Lucas, related the


"Leonard Harold Bailey lived in a time when there wasn't 5 cents to rub

together.  So for entertainment they made their own golf course on the

prairie consisting of nine holes.  He loved golf.  They had one golf club

and used it for everything.

"He worked in the coal mines at Taber, Diamond City, Coalhurst and

Lethbridge.  {Darla adds this description of the type of work Len did in the

mines: The 'room and pillar' method of mining, designed for mountainous

regions was used.  The miners divided the coal seam into large blocks by

digging a series of tunnels about fifty to sixty feet apart called 'rooms'.  The

large blocks of coal that remained between the rooms were pillars, left to

support the overlying rock.  When the mine had progressed to the limits of

its coal seam or property, the miners began to work backwards, or retreat,

extracting as much coal as possible from the pillars while allowing the roof

to cave in behind them.  In the early days, miners used picks and an

explosive they called coal powder to remove coal from the face.  There

were dangers associated with using explosives in the gaseous and dusty

environment underground as even a small spark could ignite a massive

explosion.  By the late 1920's, the pick and coal powder were replaced by

compressed air picks.}  Coal mining was a hard life and work in poor

conditions and long hours, so I guess he worked hard and slept little, with

not much time for anything else.

"In 1940, to get out of the coal mines, he "guarded" in Lethbridge and was

the war prisoner's guard until the war ended.  Then he became the

custodian for the Lethbridge Post Office.

"He sang in the choir at St. Agustine's Church.  They lived on the edge of

the prairie in Lethbridge.  He had a wood-coal stove, no running water or

in-door plumbing or gas.


"They had family gatherings with dinner and cards, every Sunday after the

kids grew up and married.  We always had a happy home with laughter.

"I'd like to mention that at the time (they lived in England) there was much

advertising about Canada and a new life, get rich and fertile land.  They

were brave and courageous to leave their homeland and start a great new

life.  Only it wasn't that way.  They were pioneers and had to start from

scratch working hard and finding anything they could to make a living and

very poor.

"My Dad (Len) also said his Mother (Sarah Sparks) came to live in Taber

and that he never mentioned his Dad.  So maybe they split up or he left

them??  I don't know; that's speculation."

Don McDonald, a nephew-in-law, shared this memory of Len:

"I met Len and Edie for the first time when our family took a vacation while I

was working at Davis Dam, Arizona.  We stopped in Walla Walla to spend

a couple days with Irene's parents.  Len and Edie were visiting from

Lethbridge and were a delightful couple.  I remember especially the way

the two of them sang.  Edie had a powerful voice that really rattled the

windows and when the two of them sang harmony it was beautiful.  We sat

around and told jokes and sang and went to bed with sore stomach muscles

from laughing so much.

"Irene told me one time that when their parents took them to see Len and

Edie that Edie always baked a lot of bread and fed all the kids bread, butter

and jelly that was very good.


"After Edie passed on, Len was a very welcome visitor.  He usually stayed

with Irene's parents and we got together for a number of fun visits.  On one

trip to Portland, Len pulled off the freeway in the Hollywood District and

didn't know how to find Ray and Lill's place so he took a taxi.  This was

about 10:00 PM and worked well in getting Len to his destination.  The only

problem was that the next morning Len had no idea where he left his car. 

So the next morning we took all the freeway exits, starting with Troutdale,

looking for a car with an Alberta license plate.  We eventually found it and

had a good laugh about the whole thing.

"Len had a beautiful relationship with kids.  He and I took our five kids to

the circus and also four of the neighbor kids.  I took a picture of us and

found later that the neighbor kids were all sitting next to Len and the

McDonald kids were sitting on the outside.  It was a good example of how

kids were attracted to this very lovable and caring person.  We all loved

him and still miss him."

Another nephew-in-law, Russell Donaldson, wrote the following:

"I had the pleasure of being around 'Uncle Len' on two different occasions. 

In those two short periods of time I was able to formulate my opinion of that

fine man.  I don't believe the Good Lord ever made a more decent person.

"I saw in Len a kind, honest, compassionate human being--a man who was

at ease with anyone. Easy to be with, everyones' friend, that was Len


"I remember that cold December day before Ray's funeral when Len and I

had to go downtown to do some shopping.  In one of the department stores

he stopped to discuss the merits of some gloves with a lady shopper.  They

were so much at ease with each other one could have easily believed they

were man and wife.  She seemed to enjoy his company and obviously

sensed his trustworthiness.

"We each bought a small crystal radio.  Lacking sleeping space, he and I

had to sleep in the same bed and at night we would clip the antenna wires to

the bed springs and listen to the Christmas sounds of Portland.


"I heard Len sing a time or so.  He was very good and was a member of his

church choir in Canada.

"We had lengthy discussions of military service and he took great pride in

his military service.

"He spoke of his beloved 'Edie' and how a baby daughter had been born to

them and how the baby bled to death in the night because the doctor failed

to tie the umbilical cord properly.  Len said, 'I gave that doctor hell for a half


"Edie was a large person and Len delighted in the fact that she was strong

enough to pick him up and carry him around.

"On the sound track of 'My Fair Lady' prospective groom, Stanley Holloway

declares, 'There's drinks and girls all over London and I'm gonna track 'em

down in just a few more hours.'  If you had heard Len's voice, you'd swear

that's Len talking.  There is so much resemblance.  I wish he were still

with us."

The family stayed in the Lethbridge area where Edith died on 1 Dec. 1955. 

Len remained there for almost ten more years and died in Lethbridge on 5

May 1965.




21                        LILLIAN FLORENCE BAILEY MORTON


Lillian was born in Woolston, near Southampton, Hampshire County,

England on 27 Feb. 1896.


Lillian Florence Bailey as a child in England


Irene Morton McDonald related the following about her Mother:

"The family, as far as I knew, lived in Southampton, England. 

Grandmother Bailey was a nurse who did home nursing, living at different

people’s houses to take care of the sick.  Joseph was a steward on a ship

sailing from Southampton to London.  He was lost at sea when Mother was

two years old.  From that point on the brothers raised Mother.  They took

her to school with them, cared for her at home while Grandmother worked. 

They would see Grandmother maybe once a week.  Most of the things I

know about my family came from my Mother in stories.

"They must have lived close to the ocean shore because she would tell of

going down to look for fruit that might have fallen off ships passing through. 

Mother started her education when she was three.  As long as the boys

(her brothers) took her the teacher said: We'll start her.

"Mother's growing up experience was in a one-parent family with

Grandmother coming home between jobs to really clean, cook ahead for

the children and catch up on laundry.  Mom always talked of it as a loving

family and she stayed close to her brothers always.

"I will try to relate some of the stories from her childhood that will give us

some insight on the whole.  When Grandmother Bailey would come home,

she could not understand why the sheets were so dirty, until she discovered

that the three boys and Mother were getting into bed with all their clothes,

high boots and all, ready for school the next day.  This enabled them to

sleep later in the morning.

"One Easter they were all dressed in their Easter finery and sent to church,

but instead went wild blackberry picking.  They boys white pants and

Mom's Easter dress were ruined, plus they used her Easter bonnet to put

the berries in.  

"When Mother (Lillian) was seventeen (probably about fourteen) they came

to Canada.  The boys went to work in the mines at Taber, Alberta.  Mom

was at a dating age.  Many beaus she brought home, but the boys would

not approve of them.  After much trying she finally brought home a young

man that the boys accepted.  They became engaged.  Shortly thereafter

he joined the army and was sent to France during World War I, where he

was killed in action.  


"After some time, Mother met my Dad, Albert Raymond Morton.  After my

Dad was discharged from the Canadian Army, he worked for the Canadian

Pacific Railway.  He also worked in the Alberta coal mines with Mother's

brothers.  Here he met Mother, but her brothers were not enthused about

his courting my Mother so they eloped.  Mother was 22 and Dad was 35. 

After the wedding the brothers and Grandmother Bailey did accept him and

they all became good friends.  Mother and Dad moved to Great Falls,

Montana and Dad continued to cross the border to work in the mines. 

Somewhere along the line, my Father became a steamfitter (Canadian

Pacific Railroad) and worked most of my childhood doing that.

"Sometime in the first year or two after they were married, Mother became ill

with Rheumatic Fever and was hospitalized.  She didn't seem to be getting

much better after a lengthy stay, so Dad carried her home (she was too

weak to walk).  He nursed her back to health.  He used to carry her out to

get some sunshine and see the garden.  He cooked and did all the

cleaning and housekeeping.  Mother did finally regain her health to a

degree, although from that time on, she had heart problems and asthma.

"About four years later, after a sickly pregnancy, she gave birth to a baby

girl (my older sister) Bernice Jane Louise Morton (6 Mar. 1923).  Fifteen

months later, I (Irene Gladys Morton) appeared on the scene (18 June

1924).  For both of the births, Mother went home to Alberta, Canada so that

Grandmother Bailey could take care of her.  These trips were on a

six-weeks visiting permit and Mother did not have us re-registered in the

United States, so both my sister and I have Canadian birth certificates.  It

became tiresome for Mother to explain the birth certificates so she said on

all our school and church records: Birthplace--Great Falls, Montana."

Ray was totally devoted to Lillian.  Their children remember that he brought

her breakfast in bed "every day of their married life".  It consisted of toast

and tea.  Perhaps because of her poor health early in their married life, Ray

was in the habit of tenderly caring for his wife and through the years his love

increased because of his devoted service.


Ray moved his family to wherever he could find work.  In Great Falls he

worked on the construction of two dams being built in the area.  When that

was concluded they moved to Wenatchee, Washington and then to Las

Vegas, Nevada to work on dams being built in that area.  They often lived

in construction camps under pretty simple conditions.  In Las Vegas, Lillian

gave birth to her third daughter, Shirley Jean Morton, on 2 June 1933. 

Irene tells about this time of their life:

"When I was nine, my younger sister, Shirley, was born so now there were

three of us.  Shirley was a tiny baby, four pounds something, when she

came home from the hospital and Dad made her an incubator.  It had flat

pockets all around the sides in which flat whiskey bottles could be placed. 

It was my job to keep them filled with hot water so the bed would always be

cozy warm.  I remember feeling very proud of my job.

"We lived in a tent-house.  The sides were wood, the top canvas.  We had

a big dining, cooking, eating room and a bedroom attached to the back. 

Dad even built us a shower with a big barrel on a large pole.  The sun

heated the water in the barrel after it was carried in buckets.  We walked to

school about a mile away.  It was a very poor time much of the last two

years that we lived there.

"Our playground at McKeeversville was the desert.  Off in the distance

were some mountains and most Saturdays a bunch of us kids, maybe ten,

ages 7-12, would pack lunches and head for the caves and rock climbing. 

So that we would be home on time, my Mom would hang a bright red quilt

on the clothes line, which you could see for miles and we would know it was

time to head home.  If we stayed too long we could see some of the Dads,

mine included, coming."

When work ran out in Montana, Ray and Lillian moved their family to

Polson, Montana to work on the building of the Kerr dam.  Here the two

older girls attended high school.  They bought a nice home overlooking

Flathead Lake.  This was on the west side of the bridge leaving Polson. 

Again, work soon ran out and in this small community it was hard to find

something else to do.  The world was still trying to combat the economic

effects of the Great Depression and times were difficult.


When Pearl Harbor was bombed, the US joined the allied powers in World

War II.  Immediately a secretive operation began construction near Pasco,

Washington.  This later became known as the Hanford Nuclear

Reservation but at that time few people knew what was being built there. 

Ray found work as a pipe fitter but so many workers were coming into the

area that housing was unavailable.  Ray went to work at Hanford and lived

in the barracks but the family stayed in Polson long enough for Irene to

graduate from high school.  Lillian then moved closer to Ray but with the

housing shortage, Walla Walla was the closest they could come.  This was

a drive of almost two hours back then and Ray could only travel home on


Eventually they bought a small trailer and were able to move closer to Ray's

work.  They stayed in the Richland, Washington area for the rest of Ray's

working career (except for a short trial of a chicken ranch in Hermiston,

Oregon).  When Ray finally retired, about 1957, he and Lill moved to

Portland and set up their trailer on Lombard Street.  Here they bought their

first television.

It was not long before they bought a house in S.E. Portland and then moved

again to another home on Johnson Creek, also in S.E. Portland in about

1958.  Don McDonald tells of an experience one night after a tremendous

rain storm, that he got a call from Lillian.  Johnson Creek, which ran along

their back yard, was flooding and Ray wanted Don to come get her.  By the

time Don reached the house the water was up so high that he had to park

the car about a block away and wade in the last fifty yards or so.  Just

before he reached the porch, the water depth slightly exceeded the height

of his hip-waders.  The house sat up on a high foundation but the water

was just about an inch below the floor and Ray was busy with towels

mopping up along the threshold.  Ray stayed there all night to fight the

rising water and protect his home but he asked Don to take Lill to the

McDonald's for the night.  Don carried his Mother-in-law for the block to the

safety of his car and then went back for her beloved dog, Clinker.  In the

excitement, Clinker had forgotten to empty his 50 gallon bladder but

somewhere in that one block hike in Don's arms, Clinker remembered to

drain the tank.


In about 1959, Ray and Lill again moved to a house near Reed College. 

They were here however, for just a very short time when Ray became ill with

a bowel obstruction.  He went to the hospital but was not improving.  Don

went down to visit him and ask if there was anything he could do for his

Father-in-law, thinking that he might need some things done back at his

home.  Ray thought for a minute and said, "No, Lill has enough fuel oil to

get her through to about March and everything should be about right.  Just

take care of Lilly for me."

He seemed to know that he would not be coming home and his thoughts

were on the welfare of his beloved wife.  A couple days later, Ray died of

heart failure on 19 Dec. 1959.  He was buried in the Rose City cemetery.

Soon after Ray died, Lill bought a house in Rose City (a suburb of Portland)

that was close to her daughter, Bernice.  Lillian was very lonely for a while. 

Don and Irene remembered going over to visit her and she had barricaded

herself in her house with knives wedged in the doorway to protect against

intruders.  Many times she would call up in the middle of the night and talk

for hours to help her cope with her loneliness.

In time, Lill overcame her anxieties and enjoyed her last ten years.  Bernice

and Ted Romer and their children came over often to help Lill take care of

her yard work and other similar tasks.  She liked to watch her soap-operas

and play with her dogs: Clinker and Scamper.  She was happy and loving

and in her British accent she called everyone "Dearie" so she wouldn't have

to sort out the right names.

The highlight of her week seemed to be shopping at Lloyd Center.  Every

Saturday Don and Irene McDonald and their children accompanied her to

look for a pair of red shoes.  They would spend the morning walking around

the mall and return home without the desired shoes.  Finally, one Saturday,

shortly before she died, she found and bought a pair of red shoes and that

seemed to satisfy her shopping needs.


Lillian died in Portland on 1 Oct. 1969.  Her two oldest daughters were

living in Portland at that time and Shirley and her family were in Cle Elum,

Washington.  The family gathered for her funeral on 4 Oct. 1969 and she

was buried next to her husband in the Rose City cemetery.

Irene said of her Mother, "My Mom was something else.  She was funny,

hot tempered and very English in her speech and attitudes.  She always

had friends wherever we lived.  Although she was sickly a good share of

the time, she was a great Mom."

And so we conclude our story as we reflect back and realize that we had a

lot of "Great Moms" and "Great Dads" in our family heritage.  We only wish

we knew more about each of them.  It is because of their sacrifices that

each of us is here today.  They deserve our respect, our acknowledgment

and our sincerest appreciation.  [More information on Lillian and Ray

Morton and their family can be read in Our Morton Heritage in a separate



  Lillian Florence Bailey Morton


L to R: Lillian, Leonard, Sarah Jane (mother) and Fredrick Bailey




         World History                  Date      Family History

======================================= ==== =======================

Columbus arrested and brought to Spain  1500 

Michelangelo's "David" sculpture

Henry VIII crowned King of England (18) 

  and marries Catharine of Aragon 

Leonardo da Vinci designs a water wheel 1510

Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel painting

Ponce de Leon discovers Florida

Future Queen "Bloody" Mary Tudor born

Martin Luther's 95 theses--Reformation

L. Da Vinci dies; Cortes in Mexico      1520

F. Magellan killed in the Philippines

G. da Verrazano discovers New York Bay

N. Machiavelli dies in Italy

Outbreak of "The Plague" in England

Thomas More replaces Wolsey as Chancllr 1530

Henry VIII is Head of Church in Engl.

Henry VIII secretly marries Anne Boleyn       Richard Staker is born

  and future Queen Elizabeth I is born

Death of 3 Queens of Henry VIII

Henry VIII marries Anne & Catherine     1540

Queen Catherine Howard executed

Henry VIII marries Catherine Parr (6th)

Martin Luther dies

Henry VIII dies; son Edward VI is King

First game of Cricket & Billiards       1550

St. Andrews Golf Club in Scotland

King Edward VI dies; Mary is Queen

Archbp Thomas Cranmer burned at stake

Queen Mary dies; Elizabeth I is Queen

Mary Queen of Scots claims crown of Eng 1560

Shane O'Neill rebellion in Ireland

European Plague; kills 20,000 in London      Edward Staker is born

W. Shakespeare & Galileo are born            in Yapton, Sussex Co.

Mary Queen of Scots abdicates & flees

Parliament forbids export of wool       1570

Parliament demands execution of Q. Mary

University of Berlin founded

Population of London is 180,000

James VI reigns in Scotland

Ivan IV "The Terrible" kills his son    1580

First English colony in Newfoundland

Sir Walter Raleigh discovers Virginia

Babington plot to murder Elizabeth I          Edward S. = Anne Mylle

Mary Queen of Scots executed in Eng.          Henry Staker b. in Yapton

Galileo is professor at Univ of Pisa    1590

Plague kills 15,000 in London

Shakespeare writes: Romeo & Juliet

Galileo invents the thermometer

Spanish Armada scatterd by storm

Shakespeare writes Hamlet               1600

Queen Elizabeth dies, James I is King

Guy Fawkes arrested; Santa Fe NM founded

Rembrandt born; Jamestown VA founded

Champlain founds Quebec for France

Galileo observes Jupiter's moons        1610

Colonization of Bermuda & Manhattan

Galileo first faces the Inquisition

Shakespear dies; Galileo forbidden            Henry Staker = Ann Patching

Sir Walter Raleigh executed in London         Edward Staker b Walberton

Pilgrim's Mayflower lands at Plymouth   1620

Wm Bradford becomes Govr of Plymouth

James I dies; Charles is King of England

Dutch colongy of New Amsterdam founded

Massachusetts Bay Colony founded

All pirates unite as Buccaneers         1630

Plague in Bavaria misses Oberammergau

Colonization of Connecticut begins

Harvard College founded at Cambridge MS

Torture abolished in England                  Edward = Susanna Ameares

Catholic rebels massacre Prot. in Ire.  1640  Henry Staker b. Walberton

Galileo dies; English Civil War begins

Louis XIV is King of France

Roundheads win the English Civil War

Charles I is tried, imprisoned, beheaded

World population est. 500 million       1650

Oliver Cromwell becomes "Lord Protector"

Cromwell prohibits Anglican services

Cromwell rejects the title of "King"

Cromwell dies, succeeded by son Richard

Parliment invites Charles II to England 1660

Charles II is crowned King of England

Great Plague of London kills 68,596

Great Fire of London (Feb 2-9)

Isaac Newton builds reflecting telescope      Henry Staker = Joane Nash

Milton writes "Paradise Regained"       1670

Marquette & Joliet explore Mississippi 

Greenwich Observatory established             Henry Jr b. at Walberton

Ice Cream becomes popular in Paris

John Bunyan writes "Pilgrim's Progress"

Flightless Dodo bird becomes extinct    1680

Roger Williams of Rhode Island dies

Charles II dies; brother James II reigns

Catholics readmitted to English army

James II escapes; William & Mary reign

William III defeats James II in Ireland 1690

Massacre of Clan Mac Donald at Glencoe

Queen Mary II dies; William III reigns

Whitehall Palace in London burns down

Paper manufacturing begins in America

James II dies. "Old Pretender" emerges  1700  Henry S = Eliza. Duffield

William III dies, Queen Anne reigns

In prison Daniel Defoe begins The Review

England & Scotland form Great Britain

Old Pretender lands in Scotland (4 days)

France's Louis XV is born               1710  Jane Staker b. at Oving

Last execution for witchcraft in Eng.

Queen Anne dies; George arrives in Eng.

Current composers are Bach & Handel

First Cricket: Londoners v Kentish Men

Postal service begins: London-New Eng.  1720

Flora MacDonald, Scot heroine, is born

Alexander Pope translates "The Odyssey"

George I dies; son George II reigns

Ben Franklin publishes "Penn. Gazette"

10 Downing St. built for Prime Minister 1730  Jane S. = Edward Boniface

George Washington is born in Virginia         Elizabeth B. b at Binsted

John Adams & Paul Revere are born

Queen Caroline dies (wife of George II)

Future King George III is born

Handel composes "The Messiah" (18 days) 1740

Maria Theresa crowned; T Jefferson born

"Young Pretender" lands in Scotland

Wearing of the Tartan outlawed in G.B.

Scotish Clan system abolished

Calendar changed to begin on Jan. 1st   1750  Elizabeth = John Wheatley

Ben Franklin flies his kite and key           Eliza. Wheatley b. Pagham

Marie Antoinette & Louis XVIII are born

Wolfgang A. Mozart is born in Salzburg

Geo. Washington captures Fort Duquesne

George II dies; grdsn George III reigns 1760

Ben Franklin makes a musical harmonica

At age 8 Mozart writes first Symphony

England places tax on tea sold in N.A.

Cpt Cook begins 1st voyage of the world

Boston Massacre of civilians by troops  1770  Eliza. W. = Jacob Wyer   

Boston Tea Party to protest taxes

Paul Revere's ride; the War begins

Declaration of Independence

Cpt James Cook discovers Hawaii

British surrender at Yorktown           1780

Ben Franklin negotiates peace treaty

James Watt's steam engine in a factory

US Constitution signed; Penn 1st State        Grace Wier born at Pagham

Washington is Pres; French Revolution

Franklin dies; Wash. DC is founded      1790

Louis XVI & Marie Antoinette executed

Napoleon appointed Commander-in-Chief

John Adams defeats Jefferson for Pres.

Washington dies; Rosetta Stone found

Jefferson Pres; Ireland is part of G.B. 1800

Jefferson buys Louisiana from Napoleon

Napoleon crowns himself Emporer               Grace Wier = Wm Horner

French army in Berlin, Poland & Portugal      Sarah Horner b at Pagham

Napoleon div. Josephine; A Lincoln born

Composers: Beethoven, Chopin, Liszt     1810

George III insane; War of 1812 begins

Washington burned; Napoleon's Waterloo

US begins construction of the Erie Canal

Max 12 hr work day set for English youth

King George III dies; Napoleon dies     1820

King George IV is King of England      

John Q. Adams elected Pres by US House        Sarah H = Thomas Binstead

Niepce produces photos on metal plates

Duke of Wellington is Prime Minister

William IV becomes King of England      1830

Abolition of slavery in British Empire        Thomas Binstead dies

Poor Law: No assistance outside workhse       Sarah H B = Joseph Bailey

William IV dies; Victoria is Queen

England begins birth registration

Queen Victoria marries Prince Albert    1840  Daniel Bailey b at Pagham

Morse builds telegraph line DC to Balt.

Texas & Florida become US states

Potato famine in Ireland begins

California gold rush 

Population (in Mill.) US 23: GB 20.8    1850

Harriet B. Stowe "Uncle Toms Cabin"

Florence Nightingale in Crimean War

"Big Ben" (Parliament clock bell) cast

Suez Canal begins; Ottawa is Canada Cap.       Dan Bailey = Ruth Sparks

A. Lincoln Pres; US Civil War begins    1860

Emancipation Proc; Gettysburg Address

Lincoln killed; Civil War ends

GB creates Dom. of Canada; Alaska sold

Debtors prison abolished in Britain            Joseph Bailey b Kingston

Pop. (Mill): Germany 41; US 39; GB 26   1870

US Amnesty Act pardons most Confederates

First swim of Eng Channel by Webb 22 hrs

Bell makes telephone; Edison phonograph

Electric street lights in London

US Pres Garfield killed; Arthur is Pres 1880

First Skyscraper in Chicago--10 stories

First deep tube (subway in London)

Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee (50 yrs)

"Jack the Ripper" murders 6 in London          Joseph B = Sarah J Sparks

Conan Doyle "Advntr of Sherlock Holmes" 1890   Reginald B b at London

Karl Benz & Henry Ford build autos             Fredrick B b at London

Death duties (inheritance tax) in Brit.        Leonard  B b Southampton

First modern Olympics held in Athens           Lillian  B b Southampton

Spanish-American War; Boer War

Queen Victoria dies; Edward VII reigns  1900

Wright brothers fly first airplane

1st motor buses in London; Panama Canal

San Francisco earthquake; "Mutt & Jeff"

London Olympics, US wins 15 of 28 golds

Edward VII dies; George V is King       1910

NM & Ariz made US states; Titanic sinks

WW I begins; Zepplin attacks on London         Baileys migrate to Canada

First Rose Bowl: WA St 14 vs Brown 0           Len B. = Edith E Stanford

War ends: 8.5 MM dead; flu kills 22 MM         Lillian B = A. Ray Morton

Babe Ruth goes to Yankees; Prohibition  1920   Fred = Gert; Reg = Mary

Irish Free State; 4 MM Ger. Marks = $1         Bernice M. b at Taber, AL

Hitler organizes Nazis; "Mein Kampf"           Irene M. b at Taber, AL

Elizabeth II born; Lindbergh's flight

Wyatt Earp dies; Stock Market crashes

Deadwood Dick dies; Al Capone jailed    1930

FDR Pres; Hitler in power; TV invented         Shirley M. b at Las Vegas

Hitler begins blood bath; Dillinger shot

Geo V dies; Ed VIII abdicates; Geo VI

Austrian Anschluss; Ger. invades Poland

Churchill is PM; FDR's 3rd term as Pres 1940

Japaness attack Pearl Harbor, US at war        Bernice M. = Ted Romer

D-Day, Hitler dies, VE, Atomic Bomb, VJ        Irene M = Donald McDonald

Nuremberg war trials; Al Capone dies           Donna McD b at Bozeman MT

Nation of Israel, Rep of Eire proclaimed       Carol McD b at Bozeman MT

Korean War; 22nd Amendment--2 term pres 1950   Mary McD b at Redlands CA

Elizabeth II Queen; Eisenhower US Pres         Jim McD b at Portland OR

McCarthy Hearings; First 4 min mile            Bette McD b at Portland

Troops to Little Rock for racial crisis        Shirley = Russ Donaldson

USSR & US launch satelites, space race  

US spy plane downed; Kennedy is US Pres 1960

Berlin Wall; Cuban missles; Kennedy shot

Deaths: MacArthur, H. Hoover, Churchill  

Anti-war & race riots in US; 6 Day War         Cheryl Stone b Portland

ML King & R Kennedy killed; Moon Walk          Lorie Stone b Portland 

18 yr olds vote in US; Nuclear test ban 1970

US withdraws from Vietnam; Watergate           Carol McD = Harvey Stone

Oil embargo; Nixon resigns; Ford Pres.         b. Jeff V; Bette = Lionel

US Bicentennial; Carter is US Pres.            b. Clint, Marcole, Julie

Alaska pipeline; Israel-Egypt peace            Jim=Pat; Adam; Donna=Geo

St Helens erupts; Reagan elected Pres.  1980   b. Jesse, Heather, Amy

Iran hostages released, Lebanon hostages       b. Trinna N. 

Nuclear accident at Chernobyl USSR             b. Kyra V. & Robert McD.

Chinese students rebel; Bush is US Pres.       b. Tyler N. 

Berlin Wall falls; Germanies unite             b. Caitlin McD

Persion Gulf War; Collapse of USSR      1990

Bill Clinton elected US President              Irene McDonald dies