Elizabeth Buck Garlick         -- mini bio

Elizabeth Buck Garlick

Age 90

Elizabeth Buck was born on 2 May 1795 in Providence Township, Bedford County, Pennsylvania.   She was the daughter of David Buck and Catherine Cashman (Kirschman.)  As a young man, her father had pioneered this part of the country, together with his parents and siblings in about 1774-75, just prior to his service in the Pennsylvania Militia during the American Revolutionary War.  Her mother, Catherine Cashman (as the name became in America) was born in Holland as her parents were in the middle of their migration to America.  Johann “Hans” Martin Kirschenmann (Kirschman) and Agnes Schwartz migrated from a small town in the middle of the Black Forest--Pfalzgrafenweiler, Wuerttemberg, Germany to Philadelphia, PA where they landed on 19 Sep. 1752.  Catherine would have been born in about June of that year as the family stopped briefly in Holland awaiting transportation on a sailing ship.  After arriving in America, the family name went through a variety of spelling transitions until it eventually became “Cashman.” 

Catherine Kirschman/Cashman first married a man by the name of Adam Bumgardner in 1779 and had four children with him.  Presumably he died young and she then married David Buck in about 1789.  Their first child, a boy name Thomas Buck, was born in 1790 in Providence, Bedford, PA.  Their second known child was our Elizabeth Buck, the subject of this biography.  Three more children were added to the family, including a daughter, Susannah, and then a set of twins--David Jr. and Mary, born in 1800. 

The southwest corner of Pennsylvania was beginning to fill up with farmers, most of whom grew grain.  To keep their crops from losing value on the way to distant markets, either in the east, or down the river in New Orleans, many farmers converted their grain into whiskey, which sold for a better price anyway.  It was just one year prior to the birth of Elizabeth Buck that the famous Whiskey Rebellion occurred, in which the local farmers refused to pay the exorbitant tax that was placed on the selling of ‘spirits.’  This event brought about the only incident in US history when a sitting President actually led an army into the field to a potential conflict.  George Washington, who was then in office, rode at the head of his military to put down the rebellion.  His headquarters for this expedition was in Bedford, PA, only a few miles west of the home of David Buck.  There is no record of David being listed among the rebels, but several of his neighbors were indicted and were forced to come in and sign an oath of acquiescence to the federal government. 

Elizabeth grew up in this rural environment with her four Buck siblings, along with her four Bumgardner half-siblings.  Their farm was located on Brush Creek, near where it empties into the Raystown Branch of the Juniata River.  This would have been a wonderful place for children to run and play, but it is very likely that these children worked hard to clear and farm the land they occupied. 

On 1 Oct. 1816 Elizabeth married a local young man by the name of David Garlick.  David was born on 27 Sep 1779 in Lebanon, Hunterdon, New Jersey.  He was about 15 years older than Elizabeth but they had a good marriage and a loving family.  Together, David and Elizabeth Buck Garlick raised seven children, all born in West Providence, Bedford, PA--and all daughters, except for one son.  The second of Elizabeth’s children was a daughter named Susannah Garlick, apparently named for Elizabeth’s sister, just younger than herself.  That sister, in turn, named her oldest child, Elizabeth, which shows how close these two sisters were to each other.  This Susannah Garlick (born 14 Jan 1820) later married John Fleming Wakefield and is our direct ancestor. 

We quote now from a history of this family compiled by the Garlick family.  (The full account is contained on this web-site in the Garlick book):

David and Elizabeth had seven children, all born in Providence, Pennsylvania.  Hannnah was born 1 Jun 1818, Susannah was born 11 Jun 1820, Mary Jane born 12 Aug 1822, Talitha Cumi born 22 Sep 1824, Joseph  Gaston born 2 May 1827, Sarah Elizabeth born 12 Oct 1830 and Eliza Grace born 13 Apr 1835.

David owned a sawmill and lumber plantation.  He also enjoyed hunting.  His grandson, John Albert Strong, tells of stories of David as a great hunter going into the Pennsylvania mountains and returning with as many as twenty bear skins in one trip.

The family was also a very religious people and were members of the Cambelite faith.  They believed in faith, repentance and baptism by immersion.  One morning Elizabeth told of a dream she had the night before. In her dream two strangers had come to visit them.  Over their heads was a large motto bearing the words “Truth will prevail”. In her dream she heard a voice say, “These are true messengers of God.  Hear and obey”.  This dream disturbed the Garlick family considerably.  Then about a week later, two Mormon missionaries came to their home.  Elizabeth recognized the missionaries as the two men she had seen in her dream.  The missionaries, Elder William Howard Bosley and John Fleming Wakefield, taught the family about the new Mormon religion and Elizabeth and her three oldest daughters, Hannah, Susannah, and Mary Jane, were baptized 5 October 1837 along with sixteen other converts of the Cambelite faith.  Elizabeth often bore testimony during the years that followed, ”I knew it was the true gospel, and I never could deny it.”  One of the missionaries, John Wakefield, returned after his mission, and on 5 August 1838, married Susannah.

As soon as it was known that the Garlick women had joined the Mormon church, persecution began.  The family lost their social standing in the community. They lost the love and respect of their friends and family.  Although David had not yet accepted the Mormon faith, he could not bear seeing his family exiled and decided the best thing to do was to move where they could be gathered with the Saints in Zion.  For two years David tried to sell his property which consisted of a good farm, a large tract of timber land, a saw mill, lumber yard, cattle and horses with barns and sheds, and a comfortable home.

It was estimated his property was worth more than $15,000. David finally auctioned most of his holdings at a great sacrifice for only $500, leaving some property jointly owned with his two brothers, Jacob and Adam, in the hands of a nephew, Absolum Garlick.  As soon as it was learned that David was making preparations to move, a group of hostile, anti-Mormons began making plans to mob the Garlicks, and other Mormons in the area.  A friend of David’s heard the threats of the linching mob and notified David of their plans.  With the help of the friend provisions and other needed essentials were loaded into two wagons, and with their horse teams the Garlick family bid farewell to their Pennsylvania home on 11 October 1839, which they saw burned to the ground before they were out of sight.  After going some distance, the Garlick family joined another group of Mormon converts on their way to join the main body of saints. David made acquaintance with a man who returned with David to providence to claim some money that David had in the bank there.  But the bank had been notified by the mob not to let David have any of his money.  The cashier, having been a friend of David’s most of his life, helped David get his money from the bank, by dating his check back a few days before the order from the mob came in to the bank.

Because of the success of the Mormon missionaries in this area, a strong animosity toward the church developed in the community.  Soon, an incident occurred in which a local mob attacked a young missionary in the middle of the night, and tarred and feathered the young man.  The leader of the mob was subsequently arrested and tried.  His name was Phillip Clingerman, the husband of Elizabeth’s dear sister, Susannah Buck Clingerman.  Not only was he on trial for such an aggressive act of violence, but the first two witnesses called and bonded to testify against him, were David and Elizabeth Buck Garlick.  As a recent convert to her newly found faith, she had to testify against her own sister’s husband.  This probably explains the very strong animosity they thereafter experienced within their own community for the next two years.  Her husband, David Garlick, was still not a member of the LDS Church at this time but his honesty was beginning to cause him great tribulations as he stood up for the protection of his family and their friends.  Returning now to the narrative that we have been following:

Except for short periods of stopovers, their westward trek was to stretch over the next fourteen years.  They expected to join the saints in Independence, Missouri, but after crossing the states of Ohio and Indiana and entering Illinois, they learned that the mobs had driven the Mormons out of Missouri, and they were now gathering at Commerce (Nauvoo), Illinois.  This shortened the journey somewhat, but even then it was 30 November before the Garlick family arrived in Nauvoo.  With winter coming on and every shelter filled to capacity, David Garlick and his family were most grateful to be permitted to move into an old blacksmith shop, where two families had previously lived. This crude dwelling had no floor, door or chimney.  As there were no rocks, David made a chimney of sod, and a door of clapboard.  The winter of 1839-40 was extremely cold. The Mississippi River froze over and David was able to haul logs from the Iowa side of the river across the ice.  David built a two room cabin for the family to move into by March 1840.

Talitha and Sarah were baptized into the LDS church in 1840.  The exact date and place that Sarah was baptized is not known, but records show that Talitha was baptized 7 April 1840, in the Mississippi River by the Prophet Joseph Smith.  David was also baptized in 1841 in Nauvoo becoming a member of the Nauvoo 2nd ward. Hannah and Talitha both belonged to the first Relief Society when it was organized in Nauvoo.  In April 1841 David and Elizabeth’s youngest child, Eliza, died at the age of six years.

The years that the church was flourishing in Nauvoo, there was a desperate need for money to build the temple and pay for the land.  David loaned the greatest portion of his money to the church, which was never paid back.  From hard work and worry David began to lose his health, became ill and died 4 November 1843, and was buried in Nauvoo, at the age of 63.

After David’s death, Hyrum Smith came to the Garlick home and asked Elizabeth to let her son Joseph Gaston, now a lad of sixteen, come to his home and work for a wage.  Through this opportunity Joseph came to know Hyrum and the prophet personally.  While working for Hyrum, Joseph was baptized into the Mormon church and Hyrum confirmed him.  This now made the family complete.

The Garlick family became close friends with the Smith family.  Both Hannah and Talitha also worked in the home of Hyrum Smith.  Hannah was with them at the time Joseph Fielding was born.  She tells of one day she was dressing him and pinned the band around his stomach.  The prophet came in and said it was much too tight and adjusted the band to a more comfortable fit.

The Garlick family heard the Prophet’s last sermon before the martyrdom, and on that memorable day of 27 June 1844, they viewed the bodies of the Prophet Joseph and his brother, Hyrum when they were brought from Carthage to Nauvoo after the martyrdom.

In 1846 the widowed Elizabeth Buck Garlick, and her children fled Nauvoo with the other saints.  They made the long and miserable trek across Iowa to the settlement of Kanesville, IA.  Here they stayed for several years, but in 1852 several of her children, together with their families, decided to continue the migration west.  She arrived in the Salt Lake Valley in Oct. of that year, and eventually moved south to Springville, Utah.  Here she made her home at the age of almost 60 years.

A few years later, when the Endowment House was completed (because there was not yet a temple built) she was sealed to her deceased husband on 31 Oct. 1863.  She returned there in July of 1872 to have baptisms and sealings performed for her parents, grandparents, and other relatives.  Elizabeth died on 5 Aug. 1887 at the home of her daughter in Spanish Fork, Utah, and was brought back to Springville for burial the following day.  She was 92 years old at the time of her passing.