David Garlick and Elizabeth Buck

(Found on the Internet, author unknown.  Not all dates are exactly accurate.)

David Garlick was born 12 October 1780 in Lebanon, Hunterdon, New Jersey.  His parents were Stephen Garlick and Eve Young.  The Garlick (Gerlock) and Young (Jung) families were originally from the Palatinate area of Germany, both families migrating about 1710, first settling in New York in the Hudson River Pitch and Tar project, and later on the Stone Arabia Patten of land in the Mohawk Valley in New York.  From there they moved to New Jersey and then to Providence, Bedford, Pennsylvania, about 1785.  Stephen, David’s father, was listed on the tax list of 1779 and 1784 in Hunterdon, New Jersey, and on the census of 1790, 1800, and 1820 in Providence, Bedford, Pennsylvania.  It was here that David met and married Elizabeth Buck, on 1 October 1816.  Elizabeth was born and raised in Providence, born 2 May 1795 to David Buck and Catherine Cashman (Kirschmann).  The Buck family came from England about 1650 and settled in Connecticut.  The Kirschmann family came from Germany about 1750.  They were both in Providence district as early as 1771, when the county was made from Cumberland.

David and Elizabeth had seven children, all born in Providence, Pennsylvania.  Hannnah was born 1 Jun 1818, Susannah was born 11 Jun 1820, Mary Jane born 12 Aug 1822, Talitha Cumi born 22 Sep 1824, Joseph  Gaston born 2 May 1827, Sarah Elizabeth born 12 Oct 1830 and Eliza Grace born 13 Apr 1835.

David owned a sawmill and lumber plantation.  He also enjoyed hunting.  His grandson, John Albert Strong, tells of stories of David as a great hunter going into the Pennsylvania mountains and returning with as many as twenty bear skins in one trip.

The family was also a very religious people and were members of the Cambelite faith.  They believed in faith, repentance and baptism by immersion.  One morning Elizabeth told of a dream she had the night before. In her dream two strangers had come to visit them.  Over their heads was a large motto bearing the words “Truth will prevail”. In her dream she heard a voice say, “These are true messengers of God.  Hear and obey”.  This dream disturbed the Garlick family considerably.  Then about a week later, two Mormon missionaries came to their home.  Elizabeth recognized the missionaries as the two men she had seen in her dream.  The missionaries, Elder William Howard Bosley and John Fleming Wakefield, taught the family about the new Mormon religion and Elizabeth and her three oldest daughters, Hannah, Susannah, and Mary Jane, were baptized 5 October 1837 along with sixteen other converts of the Cambelite faith.  Elizabeth often bore testimony during the years that followed, ”I knew it was the true gospel, and I never could deny it.”  One of the missionaries, John Wakefield, returned after his mission, and on 5 August 1838, married Susannah.

As soon as it was known that the Garlick women had joined the Mormon church, persecution began.  The family lost their social standing in the community. They lost the love and respect of their friends and family.  Although David had not yet accepted the Mormon faith, he could not bear seeing his family exiled and decided the best thing to do was to move where they could be gathered with the Saints in Zion.  For two years David tried to sell his property which consisted of a good farm, a large tract of timber land, a saw mill, lumber yard, cattle and horses with barns and sheds, and a comfortable home.

It was estimated his property was worth more than $15,000. David finally auctioned most of his holdings at a great sacrifice for only $500, leaving some property jointly owned with his two brothers, Jacob and Adam, in the hands of a nephew, Absolum Garlick.  As soon as it was learned that David was making preparations to move, a group of hostile, anti-Mormons began making plans to mob the Garlicks, and other Mormons in the area.  A friend of David’s heard the threats of the linching mob and notified David of their plans.  With the help of the friend provisions and other needed essentials were loaded into two wagons, and with their horse teams the Garlick family bid farewell to their Pennsylvania home on 11 October 1839, which they saw burned to the ground before they were out of sight.  After going some distance, the Garlick family joined another group of Mormon converts on their way to join the main body of saints. David made acquaintance with a man who returned with David to providence to claim some money that David had in the bank there.  But the bank had been notified by the mob not to let David have any of his money.  The cashier having been a friend of David’s most of his life, helped David get his money from the bank, by dating his check back a few days before the order from the mob came in to the bank.

Except for short periods of stopovers, their westward trek was to stretch over the next fourteen years.  They expected to join the saints in Independence, Missouri, but after crossing the states of Ohio and Indiana and entering Illinois, they learned that the mobs had driven the Mormons out of Missouri, and they were now gathering at Commerce (Nauvoo), Illinois.  This shortened the journey somewhat, but even then it was 30 November before the Garlick family arrived in Nauvoo.  With winter coming on and every shelter filled to capacity, David Garlick and his family were most grateful to be permitted to move into an old blacksmith shop, where two families had previously lived. This crude dwelling had no floor, door or chimney.  As there were no rocks, David made a chimney of sod, and a door of clapboard.  The winter of 1839-40 was extremely cold. The Mississippi River froze over and David was able to haul logs from the Iowa side of the river across the ice.  David built a two room cabin for the family to move into by March 1840.

Talitha and Sarah were baptized into the LDS church in 1840.  The exact date and place that Sarah was baptized is not known, but records show that Talitha was baptized 7 April 1840, in the Mississippi River by the Prophet Joseph Smith.  David was also baptized in 1841 in Nauvoo becoming a member of the Nauvoo 2nd ward. Hannah and Talitha both belonged to the first Relief Society when it was organized in Nauvoo.  In April 1841 David and Elizabeth’s youngest child, Eliza, died at the age of six years.

The years that the church was flourishing in Nauvoo, there was a desperate need for money to build the temple and pay for the land.  David loaned the greatest portion of his money to the church, which was never paid back.  From hard work and worry David began to lose his health, became ill and died 4 November 1843, and was buried in Nauvoo, at the age of 63.

After David’s death, Hyrum Smith came to the Garlick home and asked Elizabeth to let her son Joseph Gaston, now a lad of sixteen, come to his home and work for a wage.  Through this opportunity Joseph came to know Hyrum and the prophet personally.  While working for Hyrum, Joseph was baptized into the Mormon church and Hyrum confirmed him.  This now made the family complete.

The Garlick family became close friends with the Smith family.  Both Hannah and Talitha also worked in the home of Hyrum Smith.  Hannah was with them at the time Joseph Fielding was born.  She tells of one day she was dressing him and pinned the band around his stomach.  The prophet came in and said it was much too tight and adjusted the band to a more comfortable fit.

The Garlick family heard the Prophet’s last sermon before the martyrdom, and on that memorable day of 27 June 1844, they viewed the bodies of the Prophet Joseph and his brother, Hyrum when they were brought from Carthage to Nauvoo after the martyrdom.

On 12 March 1845, Talitha married William Howard Avery, and 10 September 1845, Mary Jane married Isaac Burres Hatch, who one year later took Hannah as a second wife.  The years following the martyrdom were difficult for the saints.  The Garlicks saved and prepared for the trip westward.  In the fall of 1847 the family was in Council Bluffs, Iowa.  The winter of 1847 was a bad year for cholera, and Talitha’s husband was among the many saints who died there.  The family left the Bluffs at different times to continue their westward journey.  Isaac Burres with his wife Mary Jane and son George Andrew, came to Utah in 1847.  He apparently left Hannah and her two little sons in Council Bluffs.  Joseph Gaston was in Salt Lake in 1850, by the Census, listed with William and Lewis Hatch, brothers of Isaac Burres.  Talitha, with her small son, came a year later in 1851.  From a history written by her daughter we learn that Sarah drove an ox team across the plains in 1852.  Her mother Elizabeth, and sister Hannah and her two children, probably came with her.  Susannah’s husband John Fleming died in 1856, leaving Susannah with seven children.  She later came to Utah where she remarried Reese Davis and had one more child.  Hannah remarried David Cluff, and then Moses Trader Shepherd, and settled in Springville.  Talitha remarried Elam Cheney also settling in Springville.  After the death of Isaac Burres Mary Jane remarried Francis Delbert Lawrence, then Isaac’s brother William Hatch.  Joseph married Amy Amelia Jones and later Mary Jane Gallispi.  Sarah married Benjamin Richmond, then William Strong and finally William Kerswell.  Sarah and her family settled near Springville, close by her mother.  Elizabeth often visited Sarah and her family.  They each had a spinning wheel and they spun yards of wool yarn, silk and flax. Elizabeth spun and wove flax and made a bed tick.  Years later the tick was made into towels and were handed down to the grandchildren.  Elizabeth spent her last years in Sarah’s home.  She died there 5 August 1887, and was buried in the Springville Cemetery in the Kerswell family plot, Block 35 plot 1.  Her daughter Sarah was placed beside her mother in 1904.  A new head stone was place on the graves about 1997.


Ancestral photos

Elizabeth Buck (about age 90)                                                         Susanna(h) Garlick

Dau. of David Buck & Catherine Cashman                                Dau. Of David Garlick & Elizabeth Buck

Born: 2 May 1795                                                                        Born: 14 June 1820

in Providence Twp, Bedford Co, PA                                           in Providence Twp, Bedford Co. PA

Married: David Garlick, 1 Oct. 1816                                            Married: John Fleming Wakefield

Died: 5 Sep 1888, Spanish Fork, UT                                            Died: 17 Apr. 1890 in Springville, UT


The Life of Talitha Cumi Garlick,
Mormon Pioneer

and Woman of Faith

Talitha Cumi Garlick Avery Cheney was one of my ancestors, a Latter-day Saint and tough pioneer woman who was baptized in Nauvoo, Illinois and later crossed the plains with the Mormons who fled religious persecution. She later married in Salt Lake City, becoming one of several polygamist wives of Elam Cheney. She later helped settle a rugged part of Wyoming, now Wilson, Wyoming, near Jackson Hole.

The history below was written by Talitha Cumi Garlick with additions by Stella May Cheney Robinson Eggleston, a great-granddaughter. I obtained the text in the unpublished Lindsay/Petersen & Cheney/Nethercott Family Histories, compiled and edited by my mother, Mary Lyon Miles Lindsay, Salt Lake City, Utah, April 1999 (a copy is in my possession). I understand that a published source for her autobiography is "Cheney, Talitha Cumi Garlick Avery, [Autobiography]," in Our Pioneer Heritage, 20 vols. [1958-77], 15:120, which is available in a number of Utah libraries and other libraries as well.

Foreword by Stella Eggleston:

My great-grandmother, Talitha Cumi Garlick, was born September 22, 1824, at Providence, Bedford Co., Pennsylvania. Her father, David Garlick, was born September 27, 1779, in New Jersey. He died November 14, 1843, in Nauvoo, Illinois. Her mother, Elizabeth Buck, was born May 2, 1795, in Bedford Co., Pennsylvania. David Garlick and Elizabeth Buck were married October 1, 1816, in Pennsylvania. Elizabeth Buck died September 5, 1888, in Springville, Utah. To this couple seven children were born, six daughters and one son. Talitha Cumi was the fourth child. The children were Hannah, Susannah, Mary Jane, Sarah, Elizabeth, Talitha Cumi and Joseph Gaston Garlick.

The following is much of the original history written by my great-grandmother, with additions by my cousin, Areatha Cheney Sherman, a granddaughter of Talitha Cumi Garlick, and myself, Stella May Cheney Robinson Eggleston, a great-granddaughter.

The Life of Talitha Cumi Garlick

I was born September 22, 1824, in Providence, Bedford Co., Pennsylvania. Father and Mother belonged to the Christian Church and were very religious and firm in their belief. The Christian Church believed in baptism by immersion, and that was all that was required, they thought. Then, they believed, they belonged to the True Church of Christ. But in 1837, there were two Elders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints who came to our neighborhood and preached the true Gospel and Mother and three of my sisters joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. They were baptized in October, 1837.

I was thirteen years old then. Previous to these Elders coming, my Mother dreamed she saw two strange preachers and heard a voice say, "These are the true messengers of God, hear and obey." I heard my Mother tell my Father of this in the morning after she dreamed this.

The next week, William Baisley and John Wakefield, two Mormon Elders, as they were called, came in that neighborhood and preached. As soon as Mother saw them she said, "They were the men she saw in her dream and she knew they had the true Gospel." She and my three sisters joined the Church. In two weeks after hearing them preach there were twenty baptized in that place. Then the mob spirit arose and all was confusion. Our friends and relatives all turned against us.

We stayed there for two years after that. Mobs and persecutions prevailed. Father said he was going to leave if he had to go without selling. No one would buy. He sold his large farm for $500, and it was worth $5,000, he often said.

We took the family and headed for Missouri. This was October in 1839. When we got to Illinois we heard the Saints were all driven out of Missouri, so we went to Commerce, which was afterwards called Nauvoo. When we got there it was November 30, too late to build a house. There was none we could get, every house was full.

There was a blacksmith shop that two families had just moved out of, so Father got that. It was the best we could do. It had no floor, no door or chimney. Father made a sod chimney, because there was no rock. He made a clapboard door and we lived in that all winter. Father hauled house logs across the Mississippi River on the ice and built a house with two rooms with hewn logs, and moved in it in March.

Brother Joseph Smith, the Prophet, had gone to the city of Washington to lay the grievances of the Gospel before the President of the United States. We did not see him or hear him preach until he got back. I had said, "I would not get baptized until I saw the Prophet and heard him preach." I kept my word. I was baptized April 7, 1840, in the Mississippi River by Joseph Smith the Prophet.

In 1842, the Prophet organized the first Relief Society in this dispensation. There was no society [organization] for the young people at that time, so I, as did all the other girls who wished to and were worthy, joined the Relief Society. Joseph Smith came often to our meetings and would talk to us and give us such good counsel.

I heard him preach the last time he ever preached, just before he and his brother, Hyrum, went to Carthage. I saw them after they were killed and brought back to Nauvoo. It was the most sorrowful sight I have ever seen - to see such good and great men, and one of them the greatest Prophet, or as great as ever lived on this earth, killed in cold blood by a mob. Those were times long to be remembered.

In 1845, my mother and her family moved across the Mississippi River to Iowa. My Father died in 1843. An old friend of ours said we could "better" by moving across the Mississippi because my brother was old enough to farm.

I was in Nauvoo when Sidney Rigdon came from the East after Brothers Joseph and Hyrum were killed, to take the lead of the Church. There were none of the Twelve Apostles at home, but Brothers Taylor and Richards. Brother Taylor was badly wounded. Sidney Rigdon thought he would have everything his own way, but he found that he was mistaken. He called a meeting. He said the Church was old enough to choose a guardian, it being 14 years since it was organized.

Brother Brigham Young and the other apostles arrived in Nauvoo in time to be present at the meeting. Brother Brigham Young said, "The keys of the Kingdom are with the Twelve Apostles. They are the ones to lead the people." He looked just like Brother Joseph and spoke like him. Surely the mantle of Brother Joseph has fallen on him. I never had a doubt. I knew Brother Brigham was the man to fill the place of our beloved Prophet. I knew that Brother Joseph Smith was a true Prophet of God and was the mouthpiece of God to the people, and that Brigham Young was his lawful successor. He was a man of God.

After my mother moved to Iowa in the fall of 1844, in the following year, March 2, 1845, I was married to a good young man by the name of William Howard Avery. [They were both 21 at the time.]. He owned a nice farm four miles north of Mount Rose, a beautiful place, but in 1846 the Saints had to leave Nauvoo and go to the mountains. We sold our place for a song, you might say, and got ready to go with the first company of Saints on the 4th of March, 1846.

My first child was born at Sugar Creek. My husband got a small cabin for us to stay in for A month. On April 6, we started and caught up with the first company at Mt. Pisgah. We traveled with the first company to the Bluffs and camped on Misquito Creek. Here the Battalion was chosen and sent to Mexico on the 15th of July, 1846.

We then crossed the Missouri River and camped on the west side [Winter Quarters] as it was too late to go any further. The camp stopped and made preparations for winter. We stayed there all winter. In the spring of 1847, Brigham Young with a band of pioneers started West to find a home for the Latter-day Saints west of the Rocky Mountains. After Brother Brigham Young started, we crossed back to the east side of the Missouri River and my husband and his brothers went to find work. We had been living one year on what we brought with us, so we had to stay to get a fresh supply before we could go on to the mountains. My husband sent for me. Charles Avery was hauling flour to Winter Quarters from where my husband got work and he got Charles to take me down to where he was. This was July, 1847.

On September 3 my husband took very sick. We were where we could get no Elders to administer to him. We did not believe in doctors, but he got so bad we gave consent for a doctor, but we could not save him. He had cholera. He died on September 13, 1847, in Missouri, Atcheson County, 12 miles south of Linden. My son William was then 18 months old. I was left among strangers, not one of my folks within 500 miles. My husband's youngest brother was with us or I don't know what I would have done. My little boy was sick too. He took sick the same day his father died. I would not give him any of the doctor's medicine. He was sick for two months, but the Lord spared his life for a comfort to me. On the 15th day of September, my brother-in-law took me to the Bluffs, Kainsville, to Charles Avery, my husband's oldest brother. On the 15th of October, my mother and three sisters came so I went and stayed with my mother until she started for the valley in 1852. I stayed another year with my brother-in-law, John F. Wakefield. He wanted me to stay with my sister, Susan, for she felt so bad to have us all go and she had to stay. John thought we could get ready by another year, but he was disappointed, for another year he was no nearer ready than he was the year before. So in 1853, I started to the Valley with Brother Jacob Bigler's folks. We started the 10th of June, in Daniel Miller's Company and got to Salt Lake Valley the 10th of September, 1853. The grasshoppers destroyed all the crops. When I went to the valley, I went as far south as Springfield. My mother and brother and three of my sisters were there. The people had moved into a fort. The Indians were troublesome. I lived with my brother. February 13, 1854, I was married to Elam Cheney at Springfield, Utah. [Elam Cheney had five wives. Talitha was his third wife. They were the parents of four children, three sons and one daughter.]

On January 18, 1855, Olive Mehitable Cheney was born. The same year the grasshoppers took all of our crops, again making bread scarce. After the grasshoppers took Mr. Cheney's wheat, he planted corn on the same ground and raised enough for our bread. We did not do without. We were very saving of our bread. We divided with those that had none and the Lord blessed us and we did not suffer.

March 8, 1857, David Cheney was born. June 16, 1859, Selar Cheney was born [Webmaster's note: Selar is my direct ancestor]. In March, 1860, I moved to a ranch eight miles south of Santaquin. Mr. Cheney had bought a ranch and wished me and my family to go there. My oldest son, William Avery, was 14 years old and old enough to take care of the stock and the sheep. In March 15, 1862, Thomas Edward Cheney was born. In March, 1863, I with my family moved to Sanpete County. Mr. Cheney thought it would be best for some of his family to live on a farm, so we did.

In 1864, Sunday School was organized in Fairview, Sanpete County. I was called by our Bishop to teach, which place I filled. I taught the Theological class. In 1866, the Indians got mad and went on the war path and went to killing men and driving off stock. My oldest son, William Avery, was on picket guard with two others and on the 16th of April was wounded. Thomas Jones was killed the same time. Three weeks after that we had to vacate Fairview and go to Mt. Pleasant and stay until fall.

In 1867, there was a Relief Society organized in Fairview and I was chosen as a teacher, and in 1868, was chosen secretary of the Grain Committee. In 1878, I was chosen for President of the Primary, which place I filled until my boys were called to settle in Castle Valley. In 1879, I resigned from all offices and went with my children to Castle Valley. In 1881, there was a Sunday School organized in Huntington in Castle Valley and I was chosen as teacher in the Theological class. In 1882, I was blessed and set apart for President of the Relief Society. We lived in Huntington, Emery County, from 1879 until 1893, when we sold our place and came north.

I was President of the Relief Society for eleven years, then we left Huntington and I was honorably released from all offices and came north with my children. My son, Selar Cheney, had come north with his father-in-law, Sylvester Wilson, and they had crossed the Big Mountain [Teton Pass] and Snake River in 1889 or 1890 and settled in a place called Jackson's Hole in Wyoming. They homesteaded about seven miles south of Jackson. In 1892, David Cheney and Albert Smith [son and grandson] came to see the country. They liked Idaho best.

In 1893, my son-in-law, Anthony Humble, and his son-in-law, Albert Smith, sold their places and started for the north country the 15th of May.  David and Thomas were not ready so I came north with my son-in-law.  His wife was the only daughter I ever had and I wanted to come when she came.  I rode all the way in my buggy.  I did not get tired.  We were all thinking of going over the mountains where Selar lived.  When we got to the mountains, we had to camp three weeks waiting for the snow to melt before we could cross the mountains.  I was 69 years old and I walked over the Big Mountain, for it was too steep, no one could ride over it.  Selar met us the next day and took us across the River in a scift.  The water was so high we could not cross the wagons for three weeks more.  It was July 4 1893, when we got to Jackson.  [They all lived with Grandfather for a while.]  Humbles moved into their new house two days before Scott Humble was bom, December, 1893.  In the meantime, other members of the family settled in Idaho.

David and Thomas Cheney built a one room cabin for their mother at Victor, Idaho, near the town of Thomas Cheney.  The Humble family lived in Victor, Idaho.

Further Comments by Stella May Cheney Robinson Eggleston:
Great-grandmother was a good housekeeper. She was a small woman, but very spry. She was an excellent entertainer and could tell a story, sing and tap dance. She wrote many poems for special occasions, among them one for the last day of school at South Park dedication meeting house in Victor, Idaho in 1897. She composed and sang a song about her "Juab Home." She had the honor of writing a special poem for her grandson's missionary farewell. He was the first missionary sent from Victor, Idaho, and served in the French Mission.

Although she lived alone, she always made soda biscuits. My Grandfather, Selar Cheney, told me his Mother was named for a name in the Bible, and this name only appears once, St. Mark 5:41 "...and He (Jesus) took the Damsel by the hand and said unto her, "Talitha Cumi," which interpreted is, "Damsel, I say unto thee arise."

Jeff Lindsay's Postscript
The issue of the momentary "transfiguration" or "transformation" of Brigham Young's appearance into that of Joseph Smith is disputed by a number of people who argue that the story was invented later by the Church to prop up Brigham Young's succession to the office of President of the Church. It is true that not everyone there claimed to have seen this, and that most of the written statements about the event were crafted after people got to Utah. But I am not sure that the problems in documentation thwart the fact that some witnesses did experience what appeared to be an impressive indication that Brigham Young was to be the new leader. Talitha Cumi Garlick's statement must be considered as one of those witnesses.

It makes a difference to me that this was one of my ancestors. Heber J. Grant was especially touched by the testimony of his own mother on this issue.  In the October 1898 General Conference, he said:

There are those that know not God. There are those that think the Latter-day Saints are a mistaken people, that they are deluded and that they have no faith in the supernatural; but I say here today that I know the mantle of Joseph Smith fell upon the Prophet Brigham Young. I know it, and I am willing to meet the testimony that I bear. How do I know it? I know it because of my mother, a more honest woman than whom never lived, a more devoted Latter-day Saint can not be found; because she and scores of others have told me that they saw the Prophet Brigham Young when he spoke with the voice of Joseph Smith; when he looked like the prophet Joseph; and I know that these people are honest; and in addition to this I know by the inspiration of God to me that Brigham Young was a Prophet of God.

A collection of numerous other statements from witnesses to this (disputed) miraculous event is found in Lynne W. Jorgensen and BYU Studies Staff, "The Mantle of the Prophet Joseph Passes to Brother Brigham: A Collective Spiritual Witness," BYU Studies, Vol. 36, No. 4, 1996-6, pp. 125-204. The abstract is available online, and the article can be downloaded for $2. The abstract follows:

On August 8, 1844, six weeks after the Prophet Joseph Smith's martyrdom, a meeting of the Saints was held in Nauvoo, Illinois. Brigham Young, President of the Quorum of the Twelve, and several other Apostles had just returned from missions. The purpose of the meeting was to determine by vote who had the right and responsibility to lead the Church--Sidney Rigdon, First Counselor in the First Presidency, or the Quorum of the Twelve with Brigham Young at their head. In the course of the two meetings held that day, many in attendance received a divine witness that Brigham Young was to be the next leader: some Saints specifically state that as Brigham Young addressed the congregation he sounded and appeared remarkably like Joseph Smith, others simply say that the "mantle of Joseph" or "of the prophets" rested on Brigham Young, and others state that they were given a witness "by the spirit" that Brigham was to lead the Church.

In my opinion, examination of the other testimonies and surrounding evidences rules out the possibility that this was an urban legend that many folks adopted. Something happened on that day - and I am inclined to apply Alma 56:47 to this situation, affirming the faith of the "sons of Helaman," the stripling Lamanite warriors who said, "We do not doubt our mothers [or great-grandmothers] knew it."


Will of Stephen Garlick

Vol 2, p.216, file no. 826-45

dated 28 Sep. 1826, proved October 1826

In the name of God Amen.  ss. be it known that I Stephen Garlick of Providence township, Bedford County, State of Pennsylvania being weak in body but of sound and perfect mind and memory as you may say this considering the ______________ of this Mortel life and being of Sound Mind and Memory blessed be the mighty god for the same do make and publish this my last will and testament in manner and form following, that is to give my soule to the All mighty God who first gave it and my body to be returned to its mother dust again in a decent and Christian like manner by the decision of my executors hereafter named. 

First of all it is my wish that all my just debts be paid and funeral expenses be paid out of my moveable property; secondly it is my wish that my dearly beloved wife, Eave Garlick should have the place wherein she now lives beginning at __________ as the line goes south to a fence corner during her natural life and it ___________; it is my will that my dearly beloved son Frederick Garlick should have the old place after my wife’s decease and shall have the privledge to live with his mother on said place to farm it and to give his mother a comfortable living and to have the rest to himself; an it is my will and desire that my dearly beloved son, David Garlick should have the place where he now lives on joining John Sheavers South and West to ___________ Agreement line between him and George Segle.  It is my wish that my dearly beloved son Adam Garlick should have the place whereon he now lives and it is my wish that my dearly beloved son Jacob Garlick should have the place where he now lives on.  I give and bequeath unto my dearly beloved daughter Mary Layten wife of James Layton the some of twenty five dollars to be paid her one year after my decease by David Garlick; I give and bequeath unto my dearly beloved daughter Margaret Wagner wife of Adam Wagnor the sum of twenty five dollars to be paid her one year after my decease by Adam Garlick; I give and bequeath unto my dearly beloved daughter Ann Conner wife of Edward Conner the sum of twenty five dollars to be paid her one year after my decease by Jacob Garlick; I give and bequeath unto Caterine Seale wife of George Seale the sum of twenty five dollars to be paid her one year after my decease by Frederick Garlick.  It is my will that my son Frederick Garlick __________ have as much of my moveable property to pay George Seale wife seventy five dollars and the rest of my moveable property I give unto my beloved wife as long as she lives and then my son Frederick what is left and I give unto my four sons David Garlick Adam Garlick Jacob Garlick and Frederick Garlick my saw mill and _____ akers of land equally between them.  I do hereby appoint David Garlick and John Shaffer whom I hereby appoint sole executors of this my Last Will and Testament hereby revoking all previous wills by me made.  In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this eighteenth day of September the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty six.  Signed sealed published and declared by the above named Stephen Garlick to be his last will and testament in the presence of us who at his request and in his presence we hereby ____ subscribed our names as witness.

Signed & sealed by Stephen Garlick (can’t tell from this copy if he signed his name or not)

Witnesses Christian Felton and Nathan Wikins

Pennsylvania, Bedford County} SS

                        Family Group Sheet for David Garlick & Elizabeth Buck