John Lindsay & Mary Donaghy

Home of William & Sarah Lindsay and also of John & Mary Lindsay on the Loughgall Rd. in No. Ireland

William Lindsay Jr. was born in 1792 in County Armagh, Ireland.  His future wife, Sarah Wilkenson, was born in the same county in 1794.  Today Armagh is located in Northern Ireland.  The Lindsay family descended from Royal Scottish ancestry.  One of the younger “cadet” sons, who was not going to be able to inherit any of the Scottish family estates, migrated to Ireland a century or two prior to our story, but that was in an era that is now lost in history.

William Lindsay and Sarah Wilkinson grew up in “Grange” Townland, County Armagh and married there sometime in about 1812.  In some way they acquired a large farm just a few miles to the east, in the small townland of Ballintaggart.  Here they owned a nice stone home located on the “Loughgall Road,” which was the main highway connecting the city of Portadown (to the east) with Loughgall (to the west). In fact, that road ran immediately outside the front door of the home, and was so close that in about 1980 the old home had to be demolished as its entry was dangerously close to the traffic.

In earlier times our Lindsay family had been Presbyterians, but as John Wesley traveled through the countryside humbly teaching the Anglicans to be more devout in their worship, the Lindsays became very excited about this Methodist form of worship, which, for the most part, consisted of small family groups gathering in their various members’ homes to join in serious Bible Study and Prayer meetings.  The Lindsays joined one of these groups and became very active in its leadership. 

Shortly after William and Sarah were married, they moved onto their new farm in Ballintaggart where their first son, John, was born on 7 Feb. 1813.  In total, the family had nine children: 3 boys, 3 girls and then 3 more boys.  They were a religious family and raised their children in the light of the gospel. 

The oldest son, John, inherited the home and the entire Lindsay farm, which consisted of many acres of orchard and pasture land.  No doubt they had many cows that needed to be milked.  As John took over the home place, he had the obligation to provide for his aging parents, who continued to live in the home.

Sometime around 1836, John married a neighbor girl, Mary Donaghy (born 1815 in Ballintaggart).  Mary was the daughter of Thomas Donaghy and Ann Weir, who were also members of the Methodist Church in their community.  In fact, for a time the Bible Study and Prayer group met in the Donaghy home.

After their wedding John and Mary settled down in the Lindsay home and began their own family, which consisted of four sons and four daughters between the years of 1837-1856.  The youngest of these children was named Alexander (who later became the father of Annie H. Lindsay Nebeker, and the grandfather of Vern Nebeker).

John Lindsay served for some time as the “Leader” in the Methodist Church that met in “Battlehill” (just about a mile south of the Lindsay home).  The roster for this group in 1860 explains that they met each Sunday morning beginning at 7:00 AM.  For farming families who had a ways to travel by foot, or by buggy, they had to get up pretty early in the morning to get all of their chores completed before setting out for Church.  At that time, the group was meeting in the home of William McClatchey and John Lindsay was listed as the “leader.”  There were 20 people in this group, which also included: Mary Lindsay, John’s wife, along with Mary A., Elizabeth, and Dorothy Lindsay, three of his daughters.  His oldest son and daughter would have been out of the home by this time, and the two younger boys, including Alex, would have been too small and noisy to be counted as members.

Since John and his family lived in the same home with his paternal parents, little Alex knew his grandparents well.  But, he was just five years old when his Grandfather William Lindsay, Jr. died in 1861.  His grandmother, Sarah, died the following year.  He was only nine years old when his mother, Mary Donaghy, died in 1865, and ten years old when his father, John, died on 23 Sep. 1866.  We do not know what caused the deaths of these people but disease was common and cures were scarce. Although the family was Methodists, that denomination was too small to have its own cemetery.  There was however, the Vinecash (pronounced VIN’-ee-kesh) Presbyterian Church very close to the Lindsay home and the two denominations had cordial relations that allowed the Methodists to be buried in the Vinecash graveyard.  While the older stones are no longer readable, we assume that both John and Mary were buried here.  At least one of their sons was later buried here also.

Ballintaggart Road just south of the Lindsay home.  This leads to the Methodist Church

Battlehill Methodist Church -- Jolyn Atwood, Sharon Newell Armstrong (a 3rd cousin), Agnes Holmes Newell   (a 2nd cousin to Vern Nebeker, and grand daughter of Dorothy Lindsay Holmes), Lionel Nebeker, and Marcole Nebeker

Lionel Nebeker & Jolyn Nebeker Atwood at Vinecash Presbyterian Church and cemetery

Well (in concrete circle) and orchard of the old Lindsay home in Ballintaggart, Armagh, Ireland

Lionel & Jolyn with the old Lindsay farm in the background

This parcel is across the road, to the north, of where the original house stood.

The Lindsay farm extended to both sides of this main road.

Farm of John Lindsay, inherited from his father, William Lindsay, Jr.      

All of John’s children, including Alexander, were born and raised here.                               


John Lindsay        Mini-Bio