The Wakefields of Ireland


Part 3


Wakefields of Aughrim



by


Lionel Nebeker


2012





After the close of the war, in 1691, Dr. Albert Wakfield settled down in his new homeland just east of Aughrim.  We will not give much of a genealogical record at this point as it can be found in “Part 1” “Wakefield Memorial” by Homer Wakefield in this compilation--other than we will give the following very brief direct lineal descent.  Albert had a son, Robert, who had another son, Robert, who had a son named David Wakefield.  This David married Mary Wade who grew up on the northwest corner of Aughrim on a wealthy estate owned by her family.  The Wade property may have been even larger than the Wakefields and they had some influence in the community.  It is still a large estate to this day.


According to family tradition, David and his brothers, as protestants, became politically embroiled in a plot against the Catholic leadership of that area, for which his brothers were either executed, imprisoned, or fled the country.  It seems that David and Mary, with their four oldest children, also left at this time for America, with some indication that he too was involved with his brothers.  They settled in Pennsylvania where four more children were added to this family.  Eventually, they moved to, what is now, Indiana County, PA where their descendents remained for the next several generations (see Part 1 -- “Wakefield Memorial” -- for more details.) 


In this section we will primarily share maps and photos pertinent to our Wakefields from the Aughrim area with captions to help the reader experience our family heritage.








The area in the above map encircled within the brown line represents an approximation of the 30 acres given to Albert Wakefield in 1691.  The cluster of homes and buildings in the center of the “village”  are homes built by the descendents of Albert Wakefield over the years.  The southern most home (marked with “B”) indicates the home lived in by Albert Wakefield in 1691, and then inherited by his son, Robert Wakefield thereafter.  This home is still standing.







Original home of Albert Wakefield dating from about 1691.

It is located in the box labeled as “B” in the above map.










Jolyn Atwood and Lionel Nebeker in Wakefield Village.  The old building in the photo dates back into the 1700s and would have been owned by some of the Wakefield family members. 






Another old home from the 1700s located in Wakefield Village.




This is a very old Church of Ireland building in Urachree and is likely the church attended by our early Wakefield ancestors.  It is located about a mile SE of Wakefield Village.

In the photo below, one can see some old grave markers in this Churchyard.

Most of these are not readable, and most were made after our Wakefields left this area.






This is the Church of Ireland inside the village of Aughrim and many of our Wakefield relatives, particularly those of later dates, attended here, and some are buried in this churchyard. 







The Wakefield lands have been maintained through the past three centuries within the Wakefield family by direct descendents of Albert.  The current owner, Leslie Wakefield, has enlarged the property to now occupy over 200 acres of surrounding land on which he raises horses.  His home is located just southeast of the old Wakefield Village, and within the townland of Urachree (see circle C on the Battle of Aughrim map above).  About half a mile southeast of his home is a very old Church of Ireland chapel that is still used today, and is surely the chapel that many of our early Wakefield ancestors would have used as well.





Home of Leslie & Jennifer Wakefield in Urrachree--about one quarter miles SE of Wakefield Village.  They are the currunt owners of the original Wakefield lands, as well as additional lands purchased by them. 




Lionel Nebeker, Jennifer Wakefield, Jolyn Atwood at the home of Leslie and Jennifer in Urrachree.









In the photo above, one can see the east-west freeway that skirts the northern edge of Aughrim.   Leaving the village, and crossing over this freeway and its frontage road, one comes immediately to the old Wade estate on the left (west) side of the road.  There are two gateways into the property, which sits back off of the main road about 200 yards.  The road forms a large arch to the home and buildings.  The Wade estate took in all of the land on the west side of this main road for some distance continueing off of the photo to the left.  Today the family operates a sawmill on this property.






The old estate home, from the 1700s, was still standing until just a few years ago but has since been torn down.  However, the old carriage house, that was in use back in the time when our Mary Wade lived here, still exists but has since been converted into a modern home for the current owners--as shown in this photo.








This photo shows where the original Wade home used to stand.  It is now a pasture in front of the current home.







The lane that leads up to the Wade home. 








Map of County Galway, showing the civil parishes within that county.  The city of Galway is located on the Atlantic coast, on the western side of the county, while Aughrim is outlined with a dark boarder--#77, toward the eastern edge of the county.